The Castle lies at the heart of historic Dublin. In fact the city gets its name from the Black Pool – ‘Dubh linn’ - which was on the site of the present Castle Garden. The Castle stands on the ridge on a strategic site at the junction of the River Liffey and its tributary the Poddle, where the original fortification may have been an early Gaelic Ring Fort.
Later a Viking Fortress stood on this site – a portion of which is on view to visitors at the ‘Undercroft.' The largest visible fragment of the original 13th century Norman Castle is the Record Tower. Beside it is the early 19th century Gothic revival Chapel Royal which was restored in 1989 and features particularly fine plaster decoration and carved oak gallery fronts and fittings.
The Great Courtyard, best known from James Malton’s celebrated view of 1792, contains the principal buildings of the post medieval Castle which formerly housed the vice-regal administration. The modern conference facilities can be viewed from the Gate of Fortitude. The south range houses the magnificent State Apartments which were built as the residential quarters of the Vicarage court. They are now the venue for Ireland’s Presidencies of the European Community, Presidential Inaugurations and State Functions. The State Apartments, Undercroft and Chapel Royal are open to visitors (on occasion the State Apartments may be closed for State purposes). The Vaults Restaurant, Heritage Centre and Craft Shop are also open to visitors.
Location. Dame Street, Dublin 2.
Bus. 54a from Burgh Quay and50, 50a, 56a, 77, 77a, 77b from Eden Quay.
Phone. +353 1 6777129
Fax.+353 1 6797831
Opening Hours. 10am-5pm Weekdays and 2-5pm Sat, Sun
and Bank holidays.